Bingham: Masterplan Consultancy

URBED have been appointed to work on a Town Centre Masterplan for Bingham: an expanding market town in the borough of Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire. The town currently hosts a population of approximately 9000, whilst proposed housing developments to the north of the settlement could accomodate up to 1050 new dwellings within the next decade.

Bingham is conveniently located nine miles east of Nottingham, and lies on the Poacher Line rail service linking Skegness, Grantham and Nottingham. Wedged between the A52 and the A46, the town also facilitates efficient road connections to Leicester and Newark-on-Trent, making it a desirable commuter location. The recent Community Led Plan (2016) reported strong desire to see improvements to cycling facilities and footpaths, in order to create safer connections between Bingham and its neighbouring villages. The town benefits from attractive rural surroundings, set between large arable fields, and only fifteen minutes cycle from the River Trent.

Bingham Town Council (BTC) and Rushcliffe Borough Council (RBC) are keen to ensure the opportunities offered by the northern expansion will be captured fully and integrated into the existing urban framework. URBED are engaging in a process of community consultation and research based design, suggesting strategies for Bingham to thrive as a local centre - supporting over thirty nearby hamlets and villages - and to become an exemplar for modern town urban extension.

 

Project blog

30.11.2017, 16:04
Bingham Baseline Report

In Stage 1, URBED worked alongside HEB surveyors, conducting in-depth baseline analysis. We looked at a number of factors contributing to a 'health check' of the town, including the current attractions, its retail offer, its catchment, and its urban structure – made up by the transport, built and green infrastructure.

We also undertook a benchmarking exercise through an analysis of a series of Case Studies of Market Towns and Squares to help draw valuable lessons that can inform the vision for Bingham. 

Bingham became a chartered market town in 1314. Surrounded by fields, Bingham’s weekly market provided farmers the opportunity to sell their produce, and drew local tradesmen and craftsman. The town gathered at the Market Place for public celebrations, parades and feasts. The Butter Cross in the Market Place was the centre of historic Bingham, and still lies at the heart of this modern, prosperous town.